Fun in Taiwan

No time to add brilliant commentary. I just want to say this reminds me of the fen qing throwing eggs at Japanese cars and businesses back in 2005. What a great way to further your cause.

Hundreds of Taiwanese protesters surrounded a hotel Wednesday where a Chinese envoy was attending a dinner banquet, tossing eggs, burning Chinese flags and trapping him inside into the early morning hours.

Chen Yunlin, the highest-ranking Communist Chinese official to ever visit Taiwan, has drawn daily protests since his five-day trip began Monday.

He was able to leave at 2:15 a.m. after police with riot shields and clubs began shoving the protesters away from the front of the Grand Formosa Regent Taipei hotel. Some demonstrators had to be dragged or carried away

The Chinese official came to sign a trade agreement with Taiwan that many believe will greatly ease tensions between the rivals. But many of the protesters distrust Beijing and oppose closer ties with the island’s biggest security threat….

Many of the approximately 800 protesters Wednesday night supported permanent independence, and some chanted ”Communist bandit get out.” They tossed eggs and pounded on cars that tried to leave the Grand Formosa Regent Taipei hotel.

Brave heroes or crazed idiots? Your call.

That’s not what I implied. Not at all. From what I understand about the 50 cent phenomenon, it’s that they troll forums to help promote China and the CCP views.

Would the CPP endorse such extreme depraved words and fascist thinking?

If this guy is really a 50cents, then I don’t see how he’s actually helping the CCP cause in any way. And I’m pretty sure that if they would read what he wrote, he would end up in inner Mongolia.

We can say all the bad we want against the government here, but I refuse to believe that the example we just saw is in any way linked to it.

There is a line between expressing a stance that goes against the general opinion and expressing pure madness.

He’s just a very troubled individual with obvious mental problems.

Anyways, case closed.

November 8, 2008 @ 9:28 pm | Comment

Hey Mor! I take issue with you calling the Chinese Mongolian in Australia an ignorant clown from down under. IN down under, not from, please.

Bao, I think you may have found the truth.

November 8, 2008 @ 9:35 pm | Comment

@Oab
“That’s not what I implied. Not at all. ”
I was just being ironic and I said CIA not CCP 😉

“…he would end up in inner Mongolia.”
He is a mongol warrior. That would be not too hard for him. You are sending him back home 😉

November 8, 2008 @ 9:36 pm | Comment

@Rhys

My bad, you are totally right. The only excuse that I have is that I’m not a native English speaker and I actually meant to say “an ignorant clown posting from Down Under”.

@ecodelta

Indeed, interesting read.

Looks like I missed Mongol Warrior’s last comment. I guess he will go on to defend the Chinese motherland on some other blog.

November 9, 2008 @ 2:35 am | Comment

we won’t be hearing from Mongol Warrior anymore

Now I think about it I think I remember him from a forum. He won’t know me as we never tangled, but he was a troublemaker. Guess this is the same guy – wasn’t sure up until now.

Actually, Bao, I just assumed he was someone with a huge chip on his shoulder and was spoilt by his parents so he didn’t learn basic polite behaviour.

November 9, 2008 @ 2:41 am | Comment

I don’t know who or what he is, but I noticed that there seems to be a clear pattern in blog commenting since a couple of years, especially on cross cultural platforms, such as the Peking Duck. And as Richard pointed to, the message is endlessly repeating itself, like a demented mantra.

I just feel it’s too consistent somehow to come from multiples random sources. Like Raj pointed out, it’s a template. Somebody or some peoples are having a good laugh right now, I have no doubt about that.

This kind of targeted commenting is not coming out of nowhere. The guy clearly analyzed the Blog host before starting his circus.

November 9, 2008 @ 2:59 am | Comment

“We will gladly reunify with mainland China under the following conditions” – you get rid of communism, you get rid of the one party government, you have real democratic elections and participation by the people, you allow press freedom, you allow religious freedom,

I would never reunify for such a piddly offering. I’d rather demand much more transparency, good treatment of the people, and freedom from Christianity/Islam/Falun Gong/Scientology.

Seriously, religious freedom in China? Who cares? If you are “religious” you are probably following organized religion and it can be said that China is better off without it.

Who stops the future, more powerful, democratic, China search WMD in Germany afterwards?

Funny.

November 9, 2008 @ 7:59 am | Comment

A comparison between Fenqing throwing bottles at Japanese and DPP-supporters throwing eggs at Chinese envoy?

y there’s no comparison.

Bcoz one works, and the other doesn’t. Anti-Japaneseism in China is quite popular, while anti-Chinese in Taiwan is not as rampant or as rooted in Taiwan as anti-Japan is in mainland China.

The latest polling results for DPP is pretty dismal, considering that Ma Yingjeou have had a hard time with the economy. The DPP has taken the wrong route by resorting to violence and supporting former president Chen Shui-bian.

November 15, 2008 @ 4:06 pm | Comment

Well, Richard,

It worked for China. Can’t say the same for DPP, though.

November 15, 2008 @ 4:09 pm | Comment

Let’s face it.

The West is dying, and here we have a bunch of whinners from what’s left of a dying breed.

So delete me !

GO OBAMA !!!

November 15, 2008 @ 4:14 pm | Comment

Taiwan is a country. China you mind your own business and leave Taiwan alone. Period.

August 24, 2009 @ 8:39 pm | Comment