Shanghaiied

I said in the comments to the last post I’d be away until April 9, working on a big project in Shanghai. Now it turns out I need to stay until April 24. That is a very long time for me to stay in Shanghai. It’s funny how quickly the five-star hotel and fancy restaurants lose their appeal after a few days. And you can only watch so much CNN International before climbing the walls.

I’m working on a media relations project related to the most spectacular event of all time that just about nobody (outside of China) seems to know is even taking place. But I have to say, I love this work – China seems to be the one place where foreign companies are still willing to spend and invest, and I feel incredibly lucky that I got to work on China’s two big “coming out” events. If only they had both been held in Beijing. (And I don’t mean any disrespect for Shanghai; it’s just that I don’t know my way around and don’t have the network of friends I do up north.)

Posts will be continue to be sparse and not so witty. For a witty, brilliant article about China go here. Feel free to use this as an open thread.

the truth is now a conspiracy theory*

sounds like something SK would say, but no, it’s just a correction

April 30, 2010 @ 8:02 am | Comment

“we’ve established that even when arguing for arguments sake I wipe the floor with you and make you look really bad.”

Almost a century later, Ah Q is alive and well.

April 30, 2010 @ 10:06 am | Comment

To 200:
Oh look, the CIA has a website. And links to some papers. Looks like the CIA did some things. And the CIA didn’t do others. So you’re right in the sense that they’re not ALL conspiracy theories. But you’ve never been one to separate facts from theories. And this relates to China how, exactly?

“because clearly, the Western media is a selfless entity that exists only to promote balanced views of everything.”
—Now when have I said that? The problem with your mode of thinking (using the term loosely here) is that you first conclude that there is “western media bias”, then go looking for ways to prove it. Most people examine things first before drawing conclusions. That’s the more scientific way; you embody anti-science.

“North American Aboriginals, who cares? …stop talking about it!”
—it doesn’t happen often, but every now and then you have some good advice that you should consider taking yourself. Or at the very least, don’t cheapen the issues with the way you haphazardly fling it around.

All of which is amusing, of course, which I’ve already stipulated is what you’re good for. But I’m still at a loss as to how they have any relevance to China. It looks like China is not only not good enough for you to live in, but it’s also not good enough for you to talk about. And yet you’re on a blog that proposes to do just that. Curious contradiction.

It appears you have a penchant for taking this as a win/lose proposition. If you think you’re “winning”, be my guest. I’m not here to win…besides, a win against “you” means little anyhow. I’m here to point it out to you every time you make a stupid argument…and let’s face it, that’s a frequent, if not daily, occurrence. As I said earlier, every time you speak, I’m ROFL, so you in fact serve a very important purpose. So do please continue…

April 30, 2010 @ 12:03 pm | Comment

@merp
Confidence? Yes. They have what they want, and they don’t need to give anyone anything.

I see. The CCP has once proved its “peaceful” rise by tearing up the promises it made to the people of Hong Kong. Its confidence of tearing up promises to its own people is indeed fascinating.

April 30, 2010 @ 12:06 pm | Comment

Oh, one more thing. It bespeaks a certain level of insecurity, and immaturity, to feel the need to “declare” oneself the “winner”. As I always say, you do what you gotta do. And as I’ve just said above, don’t stop doing what you gotta do cuz what you do serves an important purpose. That notwithstanding, I’m prepared to seek my entertainment in other quarters if you were to someday demonstrate the capacity for making reasonable arguments about China. For the reach should exceed the grasp, as they say…

April 30, 2010 @ 12:10 pm | Comment

This thread has been going on waaaaay tooooo looooong. I’m going to close it up, if no one minds.

April 30, 2010 @ 12:13 pm | Comment