Hacked By AdGhosT & Tayeb TN & bo hmid

close your eyes and listen Elfen Lied <3

Greets~:AdGhosT-- adel pro tn- Anonback Tnx - A_Ghacker - xvirus -Malousi Foryn - MaxKiller - Nexamos

Hacked By AdGhosT

Hacked By AdGhosT & Tayeb TN & bo hmid

close your eyes and listen Elfen Lied <3

Happy Chinese New Year » The Peking Duck

Happy Chinese New Year

Beijing is in the process of shutting down for the holiday. The restaurants were all half-empty at lunch-time today and the streets seem semi-deserted. Of course, the fact that it’s totally freezing outside with slicing winds  knocking down bicycles and forcing pedestrians to walk with their backs to the wind could be a factor as well. Right in front of my apartment a gigantic, bright red fireworks shop suddenly appeared out of nowhere this morning. I think the only reason it’s so quiet out there is that no one wants to step away from their central heating.

I thought about leaving for the week, maybe going to Kunming or Guangzhou just for a change of scenery and a little more warmth. Then I decided I’d be better off saving the money and traveling when I have friends in town to go with me (which will happen next month). Still not sure how long I’ll be in China after the holiday; it all depends on the job market.  I think within  few weeks after the holiday I should have a pretty good idea of what my new opportunities here are. I’m still working part-time and going to class, but I can’t work part-time forever. Bills are due and all that. But I have to say, working part-time and studying is not a bad way to live.

Lots happened since my last post. America has a new president. China has announced plans to launch universal health care for all, while doling out stiff penalties to those behind the melamine-laced milk that not only killed and poisoned lots of kids but also made nearly all Chinese-made food products radioactive in the minds of consumers. Reports about which way China’s economy is going are still all over the map, and you can find ample evidence for any theory you can come up with. I have no doubt this’ll be the hot topic here for some months to come.

There’s always a dramatic lull in business before CNY, and this year, based on my talks with friends and colleagues, this year it was deeper and longer than usual. (No surprise there.) Everyone’s wondering to what extent business will bounce back after the holiday ends. I am, too, and the answer could determine how long I stay here. Let’s hope for the best, for America and China, and despite the cliché, a happy Year of the Ox to everyone.

Update: Forgot to mention, this is an open thread, if anyone is around during the holiday to comment.

In CH families revere their elders, in the west we are forced by the govt to work for them. Strange difference.

Another myth, brought up by somebody who’s never even been to China. Go on foolng yourself, Sinophiles!!!

January 25, 2009 @ 9:47 pm | Comment

And please delete the double post, VPN hic up… Sorry about that.

January 25, 2009 @ 11:00 pm | Comment

ecodelta

Digital records, efficient use of information and prevention should help to lower cost or give more with the same.

Prevention is good, but there isn’t a vaccine for everything. Also you can’t share information too freely as patients have a right to the protection of their confidential medical data. Large databases are vulnerable to someone on the inside or outside stealing information.

I think we shouldn’t knock ourselves too much. I think Chinese (like other Asians) may respect their elders more, but it’s not like we only care about our relatives because we’re forced to. My grandparents always had a child who they could speed-dial if they needed something short of an ambulance – plus relatives would come over to visit every day. Sure that’s not the situation with every family but that’s the same for Asia too.

But by taking some of the emotional and spiritual support can do wonders to make it more bearable, even in the worst situation.

I suppose it’s controversial to say “we’re going to spend $1,000 giving people quality of life for a year” than say “we’re going to spend $100,000 giving people the hope of getting over their medical problem”. Perhaps pragmatic and necessary but controversial still. Some people seem to think modern medicine can stop them dying…. ever. They’d never say it but they can’t quite accept that death is a natural end and that sometimes the end isn’t at 80.

January 26, 2009 @ 12:40 am | Comment

@raj
“Also you can’t share information too freely as patients have a right to the protection of their confidential medical data. Large databases are vulnerable to someone on the inside or outside stealing information.”

Between having my medical record absolutely secured and being dead (or not very much alive), the choice is clear to me.

I take the risk. 🙂

January 26, 2009 @ 3:17 am | Comment

@raj
Ooops.. I should have said

Between having my medical record absolutely safe OR being dead (or not very much alive)

January 26, 2009 @ 3:20 am | Comment

@mor
“by somebody who’s never even been to China”

Yep. You are right. I was just up to the border with CH. I have more experience with the country south of that border, but it has strong CH influences. Even today, so to speak…

If all goes well, I will be able to extend my family branch in that country direction. I hope my impressions of filial pity still holds, I mus start to plan for my old age you know…., …. standards retirement plans do not look so well lately…. 🙁

January 26, 2009 @ 3:27 am | Comment

Damn! It should be…

Between having my medical record absolutely safe and being dead (or not very much alive), or not so safe but being (very much) alive….

I take the risk any time.

January 26, 2009 @ 3:39 am | Comment

In This New Year, I Believe Everyone Should Just Relax

I have always been a fat guy, last night I stood on a scale and I weighed 90kg. My skin is also kind of white, I remember one of my friends joked with me once that I am whiter than a white person. But of course I repudiated that joke, and said that I am very proud to be a yellow-skinned person. My belly is also very round, and collects a bit of fat, and my doctor recently told me that I have this condition called “Fat-liver” (I don’t know what the English name is). And my blood pressure is 210/100. So now I am exercising everyday.

Anyway, I believe my years here in America has basically been a failure. I have not made much money, most of the money I have in my savings account is being used up very quickly. But I’m still quite happy with my current state. I think I’m just naturally very easy-going and optimistic, unlike some democracy-lovers here who often worry about the collapse of China and often try very hard to talk about serious issues like human rights. Why so serious? Anyway, the reason I am quite content with my life is that even though compared to many people in China, my life is quite miserable and poor. But whenever I think about my rich friends and classmates in China and feel sad about my poor life in America, I think about the poorer people in Africa, in Palestine, in post-Soviet Russia, and in New Orleans and West Virginia. So when I compare myself to those poor people, I suddenly feel that I am doing well, so there’s nothing to feel sad about.

I feel I am kind of lucky, I can live in a very spacious house. Even in China today there are still people living in much worse conditions, not to mention some states in America after this Wall Street Financial Storm. But I think they are happy too, because compared to people in Africa, they are also living very abundant lives. Now you may say “But there are many many corrupt officials in China!”. Well that’s true. But I am living in America, so I have no chance to interact with those officials. Even when I was living in China, I did not interact with the gov’t much except the time when I lost my citizen ID and had to apply for a replacement. So when I read some stories of corruption in China, I read them like novels, and I don’t really care too much about it.

Now you may say “What about those people in China who are suffering! How can you not care about them?”. Well, why should I care about them? I only feel lucky not to be them. There are so many people suffering in Africa, in New Orleans, in Wall Street, etc etc, how am I going to have time to care about all of them? If I spend all of my time caring for all of them, how would I even have time to do anything else? I very much think the current dictatorship in China is very good, it allows Chinese live in peace and not in war or disasters. So when I see those big disasters in the world like the Israel-Palestinian Conflict, the Indian-Pakistan conflict, the US-Iraq War, I will try to enjoy life even more. If I don’t enjoy life now, if I don’t try to drink all the beverages on the market today, eat all kinds of food on the market, try all the electronics, browse all kinds of websites, all the kind of magazines, all the kind of different clothes, then I will not have to enjoy those if a bad time comes.

So if you are living in the world, as long as you are living in peace, then try to be satisfied, and don’t blame this gov’t or that gov’t or say stupid things like democracy.

January 26, 2009 @ 7:57 am | Comment

Richard,

This is from the Economist about the soundness of the Chinese banking system. It talks about many of the arguments I was making.

January 26, 2009 @ 8:34 am | Comment

Thanks MT. Two arguments in that article. We’ll see which is correct.

Meanwhile, bad time for college grads in China who expected to have ripe pickings when it came to plum jobs. I think we’re going to only see bad news for the next year.

January 26, 2009 @ 1:56 pm | Comment

@Math (our most revered CCP shill)

Lucky you!!!

The luxury of a happy USA citizen!!!

Well, why should I care about them? I only feel lucky not to be them.

Thanks for telling us what is really on your mind, and the minds of Ferin/yourfriend, HongXing and Serve the People!!!

You’ve obvioulsy never been to China, which you have in common with the trolls mentioned above!!!

That stupid thing called democracy makes sure that you can live in peace in that evil place called New York and allows you to say all the stupid things you are boring us with in your inane comments. It’s called freedom of speech!!!! Say about the Americans what you want, but they are a very tolerant people accomodating the likes of you and Red Star and abusive racist assholes like Ferin!!!

January 26, 2009 @ 10:44 pm | Comment

Math, is that your post?

January 26, 2009 @ 11:46 pm | Comment

Math,
“I very much think the current dictatorship in China is very good,it allows Chinese live in peace and not in war or disasters. So when I see those big disasters in the world like the Israel-Palestinian Conflict, the Indian-Pakistan conflict, the US-Iraq War, I will try to enjoy life even more.”

From what you have said and from your regular evil rants, you have an extremely limited comprehension of the way the CCP works. The CCP is responsible for the deaths of 60 to 80 million Chinese during peacetime, and it always finds a way to warp peoples thinking into acception oppression and calling it harmony. The regime is a terrorist regime and if you cared, which you don’t, you could find out what’s beneath the surface.

“If I don’t enjoy life now, if I don’t try to drink all the beverages on the market today, eat all kinds of food on the market, try all the electronics, browse all kinds of websites, all the kind of magazines, all the kind of different clothes, then I will not have to enjoy those if a bad time comes.”

What on earth are you saying? You live for that? Fine, you live for magazines etc. lot’s of people do (let math be an example of what absolute materialism leads to). Math, caring about people and empathizing with their suffering, especially if they are innocent people will not take away your time. You can care in your heart without losing any of your benefits (except for blissful IGNORANCE, sadly I think that is what you love the most)

January 27, 2009 @ 2:45 am | Comment

And I think godless’s comment perfectly illustrates what is wrong with the modern path of education. In the past, one would be educated in philosophy, metaphysics, ethics and rule of law (including the natural laws). For example in ancient China, the mysteries of the world and the study thereof were not considered superstition but pure science.

I think, godless, until you can show that there is no god, you would be more scientifically accurate to allow freedom of thought and expression. Taking a supernormal look at natural phenomenon is completely scientific. nothing in nature can be put into a box and labeled ‘non superstitious’ because everything is a wondrous marvel with countless questions behind every new and freaky discovery.

Calling religion superstitious is a slippery slope because everything we discuss in daily life could sooner or later be labeled as so.

So if you believe there’s some weird void of nonexistence after death, how is that any less superstitious and weird than thinking there is another place or dimension?

You want life to be so simple, but that’s not logical, life is mysterious no matter how tempting it might be for you to follow dear leader in thinking it is so simple.

January 27, 2009 @ 4:15 am | Comment

Well done, Mr Prez – that’s just the first step to take on cars!

January 27, 2009 @ 7:01 am | Comment

snow, I admire you very much. Everyday you wake up and think about spiritual events, about the universe, about life, about philosophy. Your purpose in life is so high, you do not even need to eat, to urinate, to take a sh@t, to sex, to go to the doctor. All those people who worry about money, about food, about cars, are just losers, have no purpose in life, godless, bacteria. How did you become such a high level and advanced person? Of course it is FLG! Once you practice FLG, you will not be sick, will not need to eat, and will live forever long. Go join FLG today, only 14.99 a month!

January 27, 2009 @ 11:44 am | Comment

what is your problem?

January 27, 2009 @ 12:29 pm | Comment

The problem? The problem lies with the Chinese education. When Chairman Mao was alive, the college education in China was so unheard-of and ridiculous that no admission test was administered. Only those who were politically qualified and recommended by the CCP bosses in their work places could enter the college, regardless of their academic records and talent. The purpose was to ensure that the person would remain loyal to the CCP even after college education, much of which was also brainwash and that education would not turn someone against the authorities. Those politically unfit and unreliable were deprived of the education and left ignorant. Ignorance leads to obedience.

The core part of Chinese education still includes loyalty training and produces the kind of people who are irrationally dedicated to the motherland and CCP and hostile to the West, kind of like the programed robots, who are totally unaware how stupid and obnoxious they are.

January 27, 2009 @ 2:16 pm | Comment

“Once you practice FLG, you will not be sick, will not need to eat, and will live forever long. ”

Unless you are in CH…. If you practice FLG there you would be sick, don’t have much to eat either and maybe not live long.

But if you practice CCP instead there, you will be OK.

January 27, 2009 @ 3:11 pm | Comment

Many people say religion is superstition.

As far as I am concerned, after seen what happened in 20th century, ideology is also a superstition.

Set of believes which provide a distorted image of reality, based of myths and dogmas (usually controlled by an orthodoxy group), hinders development of a critical mind, make appeals to basic human instinct like fear/hate/bigotry, create artificial divisions among groups of people based on race/class/origin/etc and usually leads to harmful physical/mental effects on individuals and whole societies.

January 27, 2009 @ 3:25 pm | Comment

As the job market tightens, interesting to note (as does Professor Shih at http://chinesepolitics.blogspot.com/) that princelings, or ‘red descendants’ as they now prefer to be called, are making their presence felt. Nothing like a famous red relative to help trump those thousand other job applicants!

January 27, 2009 @ 5:49 pm | Comment

Some useful guidelines for commentators for the year 2009.

The 2009 Peking Duck Posting Guide or Graham’s Hierarchy of Disagreement.

Look at the pyramid and notice how the structure applies incredibly well to many of the comments.

But beware: Graham postulates that all arguments falling below Contradiction are unconvincing.

January 28, 2009 @ 4:31 am | Comment

Hi Ecodelta. I think that indeed can be the case, but ideology as a rule is not a bad thing… I mean strictly speaking your own opinion is ideological. Anyway, that’s not the point, but I mean, it’s what people believe in that makes the difference I think. It’s not the fact that they believe in something that is the problem because faith is some kind of natural thing that comes from within it’s very human and I think it is good because it compels us to strive for better, for happiness cause we believe in doing that. Anyway, what I mean is, there are things that you can believe in that do not have negative connotations. Like maybe you believe in being nice and it’s your standard rule to live by, so that wouldn’t be so bad would it? I think what’s wrong with a lot of beliefs is that people take something good and it becomes twisted to suit some negative things that people can’t let go of, so the religion or ideal becomes warped and tainted… Maybe…

January 28, 2009 @ 12:00 pm | Comment

I will apologize if I insulted godless and I will admit that I thought maths last thing was pretty neat (and Baos was good too), so maybe HX won’t be so mad at me? Or maybe you are one of those Chinese who simply get off on cultural revolution against Falun Gong.

Falun Gong people don’t consider you like bacteria. Human being is considered very special, of course includes you HX. And don’t believe so many rumors, they do not fixate on the bodily functions of immortals, they of course do have to worry about everyday stuff, and it’s free.

January 28, 2009 @ 12:18 pm | Comment

snow, please do not address me on this blog. I do not wish to talk to you at all. This will be my last communication to you.

January 28, 2009 @ 2:05 pm | Comment

Snow, consider HX’s last comment as a high honor. Always remember the source: HX takes the cake as this site’s most deranged and odious commenter. Not that there’s anything wrong with that….

January 28, 2009 @ 2:19 pm | Comment

I don’t believe “math” is who he says he is.

Dude if you life sucks so much just go back.

Just smoke some pot.

January 28, 2009 @ 2:36 pm | Comment

@snow
Hhhhmmm….

I suppose that the problem is not what people believe, but what they do with their believes… to other people. 😉

Even good intentions can run amok.

There has been a post fight with HX? I missed it. He sounds very much hurt-feelings…

Come on HX, rocks ans stones can break your bones, but words should never hurt you. Unless they throw a Webster dictionary+thesaurus to you 😉

Cheer up man

January 28, 2009 @ 3:14 pm | Comment

bandwagon as the numbers get worse

Things are getting worse everywhere. Citigroup and BOA are about to keel over.

but what they do with their believes… to other people. 😉

Exactly. Take a look at the Spanish Inquisition, Jewish pogroms, the election of Hitler (and Bush) now Proposition 8. There’s a history of extremist Christian behavior for you.

January 28, 2009 @ 4:51 pm | Comment

“I suppose that the problem is not what people believe, but what they do with their believes… to other people.”

That sounds interesting, I know what you mean, it’s weird, like some people might think all non believers are bad, but at the same time their leader would say to hurt people is wrong, but their nasty interpretations are too tempted into think it mean they have the right to hurt those people…It’s a pretty serious problem )- :

By the way, for the record I never threw any sticks and stones or names at HX, he just started flaming after I said some stuff about math and godless. I didn’t think someone would get so upset over the criticism of materialism, anyway. I guess I insulted his religion…

Richard, thanks, I know, but I still take people’s stuff to heart, but that might not be very wise…

January 29, 2009 @ 12:05 am | Comment

@snow
” I never threw any sticks and stones or names at HX”

A dictionary+thesaurus? 😉

January 29, 2009 @ 1:49 am | Comment

Resource based economy, starting to surface… Some of you might remember my babbling from a couple of months ago… Babbling, blah blah, puzzles, words… Who cares…

I do.

“He said it was time to: do away with virtual money” and establish an “economy of real values” grounded in a “just and efficient global economic architecture.”

January 29, 2009 @ 3:21 am | Comment