Eggs and an Open Thread

[Bumping this thread above the newer posts to keep a thread up top.]

I was really proud of myself. After the Olympics, I stopped spending a lot of money on big lunches by finally using my kitchen to cook breakfasts at home; I have a dreadful habit of skipping breakfast and then over-compensating with a big lunch. By making a three-egg omelet every morning, I’ve been spending pennies on a great breakfast that makes my whole day healthier. Or so I thought….

All of that was a build-up to this point: I just saw on CNN that eggs from northeast China have been tested and shown to contain dangerous levels of our favorite chemical, melamine. So I guess you really can’t win. And here I thought I was being so smart and so healthy and so thrifty. What do I do with the 9 eggs left in the refrigerator?

Feel free to talk about anything.

Update: I just had to include this new graphic that’s spreading around the Internets faster than Obama would spread your wealth.

It’s from this most brain-dead of sites You can go there and read what the sagely blogger says. However, before you allow her wisdom to sway you over, you can get some context about who she is from the video in this delightful post. If she isn’t qualified to preach to us about economics, who is?

Update II: [Edited – I decided it wasn’t so funny out of context – see what I’m referring to – the great McCain photoshop – in this great post.]

Consumers Feel the Next Crisis: It’s Credit Cards

“Senator Christopher Dodd has shockingly predicted that public anger at banks’ refusal to disperse credit could lead to a “revolution,” while another analyst says government intervention could mean banks are cut out of the loop entirely.”

“If it turns out that they are hoarding, you’ll have a revolution on your hands. People will be so livid and furious that their tax money is going to line their pockets instead of doing the right thing. There will be hell to pay,”

When I am starting to find references to indie sources on a site that Richard endorsed in the past, this can only mean one thing (and God knows I am always right in my analysis): the world is coming to an end!!! 😉

In another thread, I was calling for a revolution if the election would once again end up being stolen by the Republicans, but it seems it might come from somewhere else after all.

October 30, 2008 @ 12:43 am | Comment

Since this is an open thread and it’s the perfect occasion to spread my weirdness (thank you Richard for this magnanimous act toward the small people, wishing to express their voices), I’d like to bring to the attention of the fine readers lurking here another major crisis to come: The Eco Crunch.

“September 23 this year marks an unfortunate milestone: the day humanity will have used all the resources nature will generate this year, according to Global Footprint Network data. Earth Overshoot Day marks the day when humanity begins living beyond its ecological means. Beyond that day, we move into the ecological equivalent of deficit spending, utilizing resources at a rate faster than what the planet can regenerate in a calendar year.

Globally, we now require the equivalent of 1.4 planets to support our lifestyles. But of course, we only have one Earth. The result is that our supply of natural resources — like trees and fish — continues to shrink, while our waste, primarily carbon dioxide, accumulates.”

I really wonder what it means in the current global context. And what could be a real and honest solution compared to what the future promises us.

Since it’s starting to pick up steam in the media, and that now the mass can understand a bit more what it means, maybe it’s time to start thinking about it.

Ron Paul is a man of the world, not a man for the US. And this is very sad. If only the whole world could vote in the upcoming election… If anybody in the US has one ounce of common sense, please vote for him (won’t happen, I know).

I really wonder if Palin will wear a red scarf or new shoes tomorrow… Silly me, it will be front page tomorrow!!! I should have known.

October 30, 2008 @ 2:19 am | Comment

Thank you for deleting my posts… You site is very suspicious. Honey Trap ? Maybe…

October 30, 2008 @ 2:34 am | Comment

Sorry for the last paranoid post… But I think VPN’s are not friendly to your blog. I get a lot of funky behaviors… Disappearing posts, etc. Don’t wonder too much if your site is heavily monitored…

October 30, 2008 @ 2:40 am | Comment

The usual lag = Time to review the comment and see if it’s acceptable… GOTCHA!!!!!!

October 30, 2008 @ 3:15 am | Comment

By who ? Who knows…

Ok, enough for tonight, time to go to bed and get deported tomorrow.

October 30, 2008 @ 3:16 am | Comment

Bao, none of your comments were deleted but I am tired of your comment spam and am going to ask you to leave, okay?

October 30, 2008 @ 7:06 am | Comment

What does Kondratiev theory augur for our current economic predicament?

Wouldn’t the theory suggest that we’re in an economic trough which typically precedes a major WAR?

October 30, 2008 @ 9:16 am | Comment

Our “civilization” is collapsing as a result of our exponential growth. Our planet and the ecosystems services, which for eons we have taken for granted, are not growing; our demands are!

Visited the site another poster had linked to: “The collapse would be caused by a combination of failing ecosystems, human-enhanced environmental catastrophes; failing infrastructure; food, water and fuel shortages; infectious disease; war, civil conflict and other dynamics. Following the first phase of collapse, massive waves of human migration from the affected areas create a domino effect that causes the collapse of the remaining population centers shortly after.”

October 30, 2008 @ 9:21 am | Comment

I just have to respectfully disagree at least partially, since fascists in germany and italy pretty much failed to achieve whatever it was they thought they were attempting to achieve. Taking over industry to force industry to serve the state is a fundamental aspect of fascism. The relationship between krupp and nazi germany was more than a “cozy” industrialist in bed with a dictator. The nazi did intend to make industry tool to serve their ideal of a “state”. The Italian and German fascists did fail in the end. I really don’t care to argue the differences between marxism, fascism, socialism, and capitalism. Marxism as theory was not about nationalization of industry. Fascism did expound making economics and industry serve the nation state. Nationalization of industry is a fundamental tenet of fascism, but your can argue amongst yourselves about that all you want. Krupp and others got in bed with the nazi’s early so that may have allowed them to operate sympiotically, but the nazi’s did take over and nationalize private companies, not all, but they did do that. Also their goal was not to distribute wealth equally amongst all the workers such as in marxism, but to make industry function efficiently to serve the needs of the state, which was not necessarily serving the needs of the people.

You grad poli-sci people can fight it out your selves. Because fascism and marxism pretty much failed to achieve what they claim to be trying to achieve.

My only issue is to label Obama a Marxist is a ludicrous as calling McCain a Fascist.

Heil Sarah!

October 30, 2008 @ 9:54 am | Comment

In fascism the state controls the economy, industry and the workers. The workers are to work efficiently to achieve the goals of the nation state.

In marxism the workers take over the factory.

The nazi’s believed the ubermensch should continue to control the workers and run the factory. What they did not like about socialism, marxsism, and communism is the idea of equality or making the state or factory serve the workers.

Hitler was happy to work hand in hand with other ubermensch such as krupp, but I am sure he believed krupp and his factories were to efficiently serve his needs for his nation state. The fascists did not think for a moment that the needs of the workers were important or that it was the job of the state to support industry.

The fascists did shutdown factories that did not serve their needs or were not useful for achieving their goals. Industry was nationalized to the extent that it was to serve a national plan as established by the state.

October 30, 2008 @ 10:08 am | Comment

Weren’t the neocons once Marxists?

And didn’t Hayek show that Marxists have a psychological predisposition to turn to fascism?

October 30, 2008 @ 12:06 pm | Comment

Will do, will do Richard…

And thank you again for your understanding…

But…

I think you are pulling the trigger very quickly on me… Am I insulting anyone on a daily basis, aside from making sarcastic / ironic comments from time to time (btw, it’s called humor), and learning how to comment on blogs? Am I copy pasting my comments from other blogs or thread just to prove my point?

I think you are harsh and not very inclusive to welcome new people with different point of views in your discussions.

How many times have you seen somebody posting something stupid, or making a mistake and then apologizing publicly for doing so?

If you only want to hear what pleases you, then make your blog private and password protected, stop whining about it while acting like a lighter version of Jin Jin and Cha Cha on your own Blog.

My comments ARE getting some feedback (not a lot, but still), and they are on topic most of the time. Did you notice that most of my comments are related to your posts? I am not just blindly spamming on your site, I am just elaborating on subjects you bring to the table.

I’ve been reading you for many years now, and I highly respect you and your thinking. You think I am a clown, that’s fine, but please do not just dismiss me and show me the door because I’m being clumsy sometimes.

Peace.

October 30, 2008 @ 11:57 pm | Comment

Buck

Yes, this is exactly what I am fearing as well. War on a global scale, unprecedented scale. There are many possible scenarios possible, but war would probably be the easiest and most socially accepted exit route in order to deal with some “annoyances (overpopulation)”.

I know I sound like an alarmist, but believe me, before a couple of months ago, I’ve never WATCH or READ a single thing about all these doom’s day scenarios. And you know what ? This is exactly what is alarming me, because I feel that if it’s reaching me, somehow, it means it’s penetrating some personal layers of stubbornness, comfortable life, no questions asked, etc. I see my self as a simple voice, daring to express it on a public space, but I am convinced many are thinking about it as well.

I think we are all exposed to that. Whatever our life and our positions, social status, there is an underlying trend that rings the alarm bell somehow right now. This is no hippie stuff from the 60’s, it’s in our face on a daily basis.

I hate myself everyday because I feel ashamed to fall into this stupid conspiracy trap. But I can’t help, it’s just everywhere now.

One need to be careful to trace a line between obsession and reality.

I am almost 40 now. You would think that by this time, I’d be over this kind of childish thinking. But it’s just growing stronger and stronger the more I see the world evolving. Been there done that as we say.

If anybody would see me in real life, I am what you would call: The usual Joe. Nothing more.

October 31, 2008 @ 1:17 am | Comment

Bao,

I’m starting to worry about the level of anxiety that’s appearing in society due to the financial/economic turmoil. It’s starting to have a subtle aggravating effect on people. People are becoming more irritable, less tolerant, more unstable. People are starting to tell other people to “shut up!” and are grabbing as much as they can. But it’s surreal as there’s this veneer of normal, business-as-usual.

I wouldn’t worry if I knew that we had a sound, democratic system in place that was genuinely concerned about the people’s welfare. But, I’m concerned that we’re dealing with a Shadow Government in the US, and that some of these people are off-their-rockers. There are still people living in tents in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Look at the boobs in the US Congress. Do you really believe that these morons exercise effective oversight of the massive US national security state? No f…cking way! Those dumbasses didn’t even read the Patriot Act before they passed it.

The WAR has already started. They dropped the bomb when they destroyed Lehman Brothers to set off the financial crisis. They could do anything. And since it’s a Shadow Government there’s no accountability. Shit!

Our system (particularly our educational system) produces people who excel at manipulating information. It does not produce ethical or wise people. In fact, it may discourage ethics and favour the psychopathic personality. Corporate structures over time tend to become dominated by psychopaths surrounded by people promoted on the basis of nepotism and their ability to curry favor. It’s a recipe for disaster. A wholesale systemic failure which ends in a fascistic power grab. Shit!

October 31, 2008 @ 5:48 am | Comment

Bao,

I hear ya man. I feel the same way. You are not alone. It’s not us that’s crazy… It’s THE WORLD!
Don’t let the conspiracies get in the way of your life, (it’s kind hard when ultimately it’s screwing with the WORLD), try hard to live your life, but make sure to keep your eyes open.

As for the Neo-con thing, I read somewhere that the Neo-Cons look up to some Nazi philosopher dude. I will dig it up for you later if time permits.

October 31, 2008 @ 6:22 am | Comment

Now everyone is talking about the American economy and eclections, nice to read something different. Eugene

October 31, 2008 @ 7:34 am | Comment

Apparently one would need to eat 300 eggs in one day to get sick…Although scientists don’t know what are the long term effects of eating small quantities of melamine for an extended period…

October 31, 2008 @ 12:47 pm | Comment