On Sarah Palin’s daughter’s pregnancy

Who cares? I really don’t. All families have their issues. This news does not reflect badly on Palin as a mother or as a person, and the dems would be wise to listen to Obama, who has told them this topic is “off limits.”

No, it doesn’t tell us much about Palin (I already know more than I need to conclude she is a disastrous choice, in the Harriet Miers tradition) but it does raise questions about McCain – about the process he used to vet Palin, and about his tendency to make hot-headed, emotional, on-the-fly decisions. He’s my state’s senator, remember, and I know several people who work with McCain. His temper and his impetuousness are real issues.

Is this the kind of decision-maker America wants in the White House? Is this truly the very best McCain could come up with for the person who will step into his shoes should something happen to him? Not even McCain’s spin doctors can justify the choice. Please head over to this post and watch the video. No way out; there’s no way the question the reporter asks can be answered. Watch the poor spokesperson squirm and slither. The GOP has dug themselves in deep this time. Let them implode on their own; they don’t need our help.

The only way we can ruin it is by attacking Palin and her daughter, who simply don’t deserve it. It would only backfire.

Over the past few days my admiration of and respect for Obama has grown a hundred-fold. From his galvanizing speech last week to his sensitive handling of the Palin pregnancy shocker, he’s demonstrated he has the qualities of a true leader. Obama for president.

I will take you up on that wager Richard. I’m betting that Palin won’t be dropped… to do so means the end of the McCain ticket. Sure loss. It didn’t go so well for McGovern… why do you think McCain would like to repeat that bit of history? Wishful thinking?

Any of you folks been to Alaska? It’s a quirky state filled with rugged people. Lots of hunting and fishing and outdoors sports, and the main industry is oil. Palin is very representative of that tradition.

My opinion is that it’s going to be closer than the polls currently reflect. McCain’s no Bush, and real people know it. Everyone’s tired of Bush.

September 3, 2008 @ 9:04 pm | Comment

Matt, I agree with you that Palin will not be dropped, it would be a political suicide for the McCain campaign. I think they will just tough it out. Let’s see how Palin’s speech goes tonight.

I also give you that Palin is very representative of Alaska. McCain will secure the highly competitive states of Alaska and Idaho. But she’s far too right to court the Hillary supporters. Again, if you watched Freddie Thompson and Joe Lieberman’s speech last night, the republicans are again running a very divisive partisan.

The two party politics in the US is making me sick. Anyone watched Larry King last night? Jesse Ventura and Ron Paul are what this country needs. Nobody talks about the 9 trillion federal debts like it doesn’t exist.

Paul> Obama >>>>>> McCain

September 4, 2008 @ 12:54 am | Comment

Richard, as I think I said above, I would not touch the experience argument, because it’s not clear that Obama is more “experienced” than Palin, and you end up comparing a Presidential candidate to a Vice Presidential candidate. This is not a good place for the campaign to be.

September 4, 2008 @ 1:48 am | Comment

I think it does show a sort of hypocrisy that people can feel right in their gut… nevertheless, I agree that it certainly should not be a campaign issue. There are much bigger fish to fry, without a doubt.

September 4, 2008 @ 5:38 am | Comment

>>because it’s not clear that Obama is more “experienced” than Palin

A year and a half ago she was the part-time mayor of a town of 6,000 in Nowhere, Alaska. She became mayor by garnering like 700 votes — total. I really don’t see how anyone can compare her experience to that of Obama: 4 years in the Senate, 8 years in Illinois state legislature, Harvard Law etc. Obama has been on the national stage for 4 years. Millions of voters have spoken on the question of his judgment and experience.

Palin has been on the national stage for 4 DAYS. Oh, but she lived in Alaska, which is close to Russia sort of, so she’s a foreign policy genius. etc. And her “executive experience” dealing with zoning issues for bowling alleys and fishing licenses and trying to get books banned from the Wasilla library that had the word “ass” in them or claimed that Jesus didn’t ride a dinosaur certainly prepared her for VP of the USA.

I guess I see no reason not to laugh at the ridiculous claims that she has as much experience as Obama. But I do agree that it is more important to point out her extremist religious views, her corruption problems, and her association with a secession party (Splittist!! Right here in the USA! She will never split the motherland!)

If I see any Chinese with a “Free Alaska!” banner I’m going to boycott 85% of all the goods I buy.

September 4, 2008 @ 1:24 pm | Comment

FACE IT.

Obama’s gonna lose. I sense it.

Palina’s got the GOP fired up. Question, why are dems always so stupid? It’s because they whine too much, like the ONES on here on this site.

September 5, 2008 @ 3:04 pm | Comment

@ Surprised?

If Obama loses, then the citizens of America have truly hit an intellectual low.
People should not vote for McCain just because his VP (who I hope gets dropped, or ruins his ticket) is a woman. Look at her hypocritical behavior…she is just a female Bush, no good for this country. And her wanting to remove sex education from the country is a big issue for me. I, for one, am not interested in having a evangelical nut job so close to being pres. Palin has a history of LING about her views, and with today’s technology, everyone can find out about it.If people would take the time to read, even YOU would know how horrid she is for this country.

September 9, 2008 @ 11:17 pm | Comment

[…] As The Duck presciently noted back almost a month ago in this comment, this was sooo predictable: Meanwhile, the big story here, as stated earlier, is about McCain, not […]

September 27, 2008 @ 4:13 pm | Pingback