Flying

Radio silence for the next few days as I travel, except for a possible guest post or two. Discuss what you’d like.

This is a more radical, political Chinese station, “New Tang Dynasty Television station”, based in the US, the reason why people don’t think oversea Chinese aren’t pushing so hard for China’s human rights and democracy is because Chinese oversea are not in the mainstream. THeir style to push is not the same as caucasians, but their concerns for China’s human rights is just as strong.

April 25, 2008 @ 3:26 pm | Comment

@MFK

There will always be idealists like snow, holier than thou moral crusader like cathy, hardcore ethno-nationalist like Amban and plain nutcase like nanheyangrouchuan.

They are frustrated because present-day China do not shape up to their expectations and more importantly they are powerless to change her to their liking.

At the end of the day, the power to shape China’s destiny lies in our hands (I think deep down in their hearts, they know this, hence the frustration and endless sermonizing and threats)

Just focus on the goal and stay the course.

April 25, 2008 @ 3:35 pm | Comment

@cathy
“There is a show “Talk Tonight”, a talk show which discusses issues in the Chinese communities, in China, Taiwan, and US.”

Thanks for the tip. There are already some of the programs in youtube.
Problem for me is that they are in CH. Google Language tools do not work yet on youtube, hope they fix it soon 😉
Maybe I can find one with subtitles or in English

It would not be a bad idea for that Channel to subtitle some of their programs, could help to spread knowledge opinion CH overseas.

In the meantime, just pondering to learn CH always liked the sound of the language but I am afraid the writing system is beyond my reach.

April 25, 2008 @ 3:38 pm | Comment

I agree there is a difference between criticism and interference. The problem is, things like protests over the torch run – which would be, uh, criticism – provoke responses that are way out of proportion to the offense.

I find it kind of funny that there was this mass freak-out over the torch protests and yet, here in the US, Chinese and Chinese Americans go to Hollywood to, well, you know, protest CNN.

Oh well. The world’s citizens will either figure this shit out, or not. I’m one of these hippie freaks who believes that ultimately, we are all in this together. Yeah, I’m privileged and I’m really glad that I am, and I’m as selfish as anyone else, and not sure how much I would be willing to give up for the good of the rest of humanity. But I am certainly willing to give up some things. And I believe that cooperation has to be our overriding philosophy, because the world’s problems are too large and too intertwined to be dealt with in a zero-sum game.

April 25, 2008 @ 3:39 pm | Comment

And Cao Meng De, if you are going to characterize everyone else, how should we characterize you?

Privileged parachute kid, bicultural surfer who actually is not as purely “Chinese” as he presents himself to be, by virtue of his global upbringing?

Just a guess.

April 25, 2008 @ 3:41 pm | Comment

Oh Dude! I’m gonna miss the Chinese chicks!

I might as well join the fxxck’n Peace Corps!

April 25, 2008 @ 3:44 pm | Comment

@Middle Finger Kingdom

The problem with your party was a lousy PR performance by CH organizer. You should take the criticism, well earned or not, more calmly.
Yes it hurts, but that is the way it works. Hope it could be done better next time.

About Economic development versus HR/Political openness there are two theories.

1) You are right CH needs the stability and power of development by command no matter what of current political system. Political Openness+HR wait down on the line.

2)It is just the a contract with the devil between CCP and CH people. I let you develop get better life (compared as the one you had before) but you do not question my grip in power. If you do you will get in trouble. I could even put my grip on power before country development and interest if I feel menaced. Political Openness+HR? Keep dreaming.

Which one is true? Maybe even both!

April 25, 2008 @ 3:49 pm | Comment

Cao,

yup yup, as always, agreed. I’m living in China right now, don’t let these clowns fool you. Those carrefour protesters are as dumb as these Olympic torch relay protesters. People out here are busy getting on with their lives, and are not losing sleep over human rights this or democracy that.

Guess non-chinese will never understand how chinese can live in harmony by being pro-China and anti-commie at the same time. Western people have a one-track mind, on a way to a dead-end tunnel. They dont’t realize how theu’re trapped in their own minds, or in their open and democratic society. What’s that funny saying..the most enslaved are those who think they’re free? Welcome to the Western world.

April 25, 2008 @ 3:53 pm | Comment

“New Tang Dynasty Television station” like Epochtimes, is a well known mouth piece for Falungong. Falungong is really a piece of work. Their tactics gives CCP a serious run for their money.

To see what Harry Wu (Wu Hongda), no friend of CCP, has to say about Falungong including “New Tang Dynasty Television” (NTDTV) see Roland Soong’s translation:

April 25, 2008 @ 3:54 pm | Comment

@CMD MKF
“I don’t know why I’m responding to Cathy, sorry Cao.”

Why are you so reluctant to answer Cathy?

Do you find it unsettling that a CH countrymen do not share your opinions?

April 25, 2008 @ 3:54 pm | Comment

Ecodelta,

you’re an idiot. Cathy’s from Hong Kong, her viewpoints are as wacky as hong people themselves. Hong Kong’s been a bitch to someone else, previously, to much of my indignation and rage, the rotten teeth UK, and now to China. So HK people have been conditioned to beg for goodies from its masters, and thus their wacky world and political views.

April 25, 2008 @ 4:05 pm | Comment

What’s the demographic of the visitors on this web? Are they mostly westerners, or Chinese with oversea’s education?

April 25, 2008 @ 4:06 pm | Comment

MFK:

That’s absurd! The fruit of Hong Kong prosperity is mostly due to Chinese migrants who worked hard and they collectively have created a miracle in a place with no natural resources, the resources are the people.

April 25, 2008 @ 4:10 pm | Comment

I would agree that “harmony” might be a Chinese cultural value. But to say that Chinese people in today’s China are “living in harmony” – well, aside from quoting a truly horrible McCartney/Jackson song, it’s not a very accurate description of modern China. The Chinese government reports something like, 86,000 protests in China annually (I think this was in 2006). You have a widening income distribution gap, peasants who are being kicked off their land or poisoned by factories and development, a myriad of social problems.

Maybe the majority of Chinese people do not think that “democracy” is the solution to their problems. But outside of the wealthy cities, I think you will find plenty of people who have real problems and real grievances.

April 25, 2008 @ 4:12 pm | Comment

@MFK
“you’re an idiot. ”
Thank for your compliment. So much for rational discussion ;-P

“Cathy’s from Hong Kong, ”
Part of PRC I believe.

“her viewpoints are as wacky as hong people themselves”
And you complain about western bias and criticism. Interesting mindset indeed.

“Hong Kong’s been a bitch to someone else, previously, to much of my indignation and rage, the rotten teeth UK, and now to China.”
You just made it worst.

“So HK people have been conditioned to beg for goodies from its masters, and thus their wacky world and political views.”
Change HK–>PRC and it works too. (do not forget to change masters–>CCP to really get my point). Interesting word play ins�t ?

Have peace MFK 😉

April 25, 2008 @ 4:13 pm | Comment

We enjoy our “wackiness”, at least we are free to express. Hong Kong stock exchange has a solid reputation in the world. And we don’t have to deal with so much crap when dealing with our govt.

April 25, 2008 @ 4:15 pm | Comment

Cathy,

fine, I’ll let this one pass, only cuz you didn’t say it was because of your former slave master’s “liberal democratic political & economic system.

April 25, 2008 @ 4:16 pm | Comment

Cao,

where are you, I’m about to either shoot myself or Cathy.

Cathy, stop talking to me, you are beginning to sound like all those annoying HK girls I know. mmmm ho la….stop it, leave me alone.

April 25, 2008 @ 4:18 pm | Comment