Blind rage

We all know about the near-uncontrollable hatred today’s young Chinese harbor against Japan, but I didn’t quite grasp the scale until I read this intriguing article.

The explosive growth of the web in China, where the number of users is growing by more than 25% a year, is often cited by advocates of political reform as a source of hope for greater openness in the world’s last big communist state.

But there is increasing evidence that the opposite may be true. Sites advocating democracy, religious freedom or union rights are closed down by the authorities and their operators often arrested. But there are countless sites like Mr Song’s devoted to one of the few political passions permitted by the government: hatred for Japan.

Every day on the “My View of Japan” bulletin board, Mr Song and his contributors post reports of perceived slights by their neighbours, who are referred to at least once as “shitty little Japanese”. Many predict that military conflict is inevitable, and some wish it would come sooner rather than later. “I’m 30 and a fire burns in my heart,” writes one contributor. “Only war can extinguish these flames.”

While hate-mongering is a feature of extremist internet chatrooms around the world, in China such inflammatory comments appear to represent anything but a small minority. In the past two years, small anti-Japanese protests have mushroomed into nationwide campaigns through the internet and mobile phone text messages.

The article focuses on one prosperous young man in Beijing who seems to have it all, and yet is a burning pillar of rage and fury, obsessed with Japan’s refusal to acknowledge and take responsibility for its monstrous crimes against the Chinese people in World War II. I can understand the anger, but I have to admit I can’t understand the obsession, where one’s entire life is focused on and consumed by the events of 65 years ago. Read the article to see just how all-consuming this hatred can be.

Thanks to the reader who alerted me to this.

Right wing’s goal: to increase adoption rate of their textbook to 10%

Status quo: 0.097%

January 4, 2005 @ 11:04 am | Comment

January 4, 2005 @ 11:07 am | Comment

So far this link is the most informative one that I can find:

8 publishing houses submitted their history textbooks and got governmental approval. 7 of them mentioned comfort women, rape of Nanking, etc over 100 times. Only the “New Japan History” has none of that – the right wing disortion one. So the battle is around this ‘New Japan History’.

Right wing’s goal: to get 10% adoption rate. End result: 0.097%. Big victory for the truth.

Case closed. Would you please spend a few minutes reading?

January 4, 2005 @ 11:14 am | Comment

“The above link also states that so far, NO any public school is using right wing version.”

So? what’s your point?
Bellevue: my point is…………?

January 4, 2005 @ 11:16 am | Comment

JR:

The point is, great majority uses left wing textbook. Public schooling is mainstream in any country.

Please, read that detailed study by Hua Dong Shi Da.

January 4, 2005 @ 11:22 am | Comment

Bellevue,
are you refering to the 9th paragraph with the blue iii, iv, v notes???
Doesn’t that paragraph talk about The right wing element is advocating the public not to teach the truth of the Japanese war crimes and not using the word invasion in the textbooks.
Where do you get 7 out of 8 textbook?

January 4, 2005 @ 11:43 am | Comment

Yes. The right wing is accusing the 7 junior high textbooks in year 1998 mentiones Japanese invasion for 143 times, and taught students about comfort women, Nanking massacre, etc.

That proves the left wing is doing a good job and enjoys an overwhelming majority.

The source is credible for it is an education research institute.

January 4, 2005 @ 11:53 am | Comment

Where do you get 7 out 8 textbooks??? Do you presume that also?

January 4, 2005 @ 11:56 am | Comment

Let’s give this textbook topic a rest, okay? You can argue about it over email, but we’re just wasting time at this point.

January 4, 2005 @ 12:03 pm | Comment

JR:

If you can’t infer any obvious in context, then I doubt if you can even do TOEFL reading comprehesion.

First paragragh: 8 publishing house submit …

then the author focuses on ‘New Japan History’, leaving the 7 others.

Then the 7 textbooks (1998) are mentioned.

It’s clear that from day one, that distortion version has been only one. The adoption rate in 1986, it reports, was 0.02%.

It’s very convincing that others are overwhelmingly majority. It’s not without battle, and the progressive side is doing just great.

January 4, 2005 @ 12:06 pm | Comment

Okay.

January 4, 2005 @ 12:06 pm | Comment

Bellevue,
I just emailed you.
BTW, TOEFL means Test of English as a Foreign Language. Did you mean TOCFL?

January 4, 2005 @ 12:27 pm | Comment

This thread has gone sadly downhill since last time I read it.

January 4, 2005 @ 7:02 pm | Comment

Totally true, Li En. Time to put this thread to bed.

January 4, 2005 @ 7:21 pm | Comment

Dear Jacky,

Thanks for your very thought-provoking response to my last entry. I must say, I am impressed with your reasoning here – your point about the need to go on challenging the revisionists among those Japanese nationalists who wish to cleanse the historical record of all of its past atrocities is a fair enough one, and I believe you are correct in your analysis.

I guess what is required is a sober response to such provocations as the visiting of shrines, history texts, etc. – a balance is needed in the way the Chinese and Koreans deal with these issues. Such revisionism certainly does need to be challenged – the question though, is how? Encouraging a blind hatred among the masses is certainly not the answer, as I have already argued, along with Filthy Stinking No.9, Richard, Lisa, and others. But such revisionism needs to be challenged nevertheless – though thoughtfully.

You are right – the Chinese and Koreans and other Asians who suffered under the Japanese are now caught, as you say, “between the devil and the deep blue sea.”

Jacky – you says that we “Westerners are more sophisticated” than you Chinese, and that Chinese hooligans give the rest of you a bad reputation.

I don’t think that we Westerners are necessarily more sophisticated than anyone else, generally speaking. Racist hooligans are, I’m sad to say, all too numerous in the West. Did you know that in Germany, an average of 20,000 racist attacks occur every year against its ethnic citizens, and that the German government has even been forced to establish a special police task force specifically to tackle this problem?

In France, we see an average of around 10,000 racist attacks every year.

Back in 1994 and 1995, I lived and worked as a high school teacher in London. I worked at Morpeth School, Morpeth Street, Bethnal Green, in the heart of the Cockney East End. When I first arrived in London, the racist chauvanistic British Nationalist Party (BNP) actually held a seat in the local government – the Isle of Dogs, which sits directly across the River Thames from Greenwich. Local elections were coming up (sometime around April, I think, if memory serves me correctly). Anyhow, for the first three or four months leading up to that election, the BNP conducted their electioneering through a campaign of violence. This is how they increased their public profile! By attacking (usually young) people of colour.

In the first four months of me having arrived in London, no less than four Bangladeshi students in the East End were seriously beaten into comas by gangs of white BNP thugs. I still remember, very vividly, one day being called to the staff common room for an emergency staff meeting. The London metropolitan police had phoned the principal to inform him that a young Bangladeshi youth had been found lying in a local nearby park, beaten into a coma, his face unrecognisably swollen and battered. He had been taken to hospital, but was not expected to survive. Nobody at this stage knew whether he was one of our students, or from another nearby school up the road.

As it turned out, he was from the other school, and fortunately, he survived. He became a television celebrity for a about a week or two – because once he recovered, he expressed no anger or hatred towards his attackers. Amazingly, he expressed forgiveness. He harboured no desire for revenge. I still remember his name: Ali Aktar was his name.

On another occasion, about a week after that, one of my second year students, another young Bangledeshi boy, aged only 13 years, was punched in the face and was given a black eye by a 40-something year old man while he was walking home from school.

In fact Jacky, the problem was so bad, that throughout the months leading up to the local elections, the London metropolitan police had to patrol the streets around our school every afternoon from 3:15pm, so as to protect our students from the possibility of a racist attack while they were on their way home.

Jacky, the attack I mentioned earlier against Ali Aktar occured in the context of it having been apart of a whole wave of other attacks in the lead up to a local council election. About a week before I arrived in London, Morpeth School, where I taught, was itself the scene of a rather nasty and horrible drama. Apparently, a group of adult white BNP thugs entered the school playground during lunchtime, and proceeded to physically assault as many Asian and Black kids as they could. One of these thugs was even weilding an axe about, and apparently broke one student’s jaw with the handle.

As it turned out, this particular man – the one who had broken the boy’s jaw – was identified as being the uncle of one of the students at this school – a white Caucasian boy, of course, aged 15. The very next day, after this incident, a group of about ten Bangladeshi boys decided to take revenge on this man by attacking his nephew. Emotions, as you might imagine, were running very high, and these Bangladeshi boys were very angry and upset about not only the attack itself, but also by the fact that one of their friends had been forced to go to hospital with a broken jaw.

The day after the event, this group of ten walked into a maths classroom right at the beginning of the lesson, before the teacher even had a chance to arrive, formed a circle around this white kid so that nobody else in the classroom could see what was going on, and one of them, who to this day has never been identified, one of them, pulled out a knife and stabbed the kid in the gut. The boy survived, but spent a long time in hospital recovering in intensive care.

Violence begets violence, as I have already said twice in earlier comments on this website. That white boy, he may or may not have been a racist? He was not responsible for his uncle’s actions. He did not deserve to be stabbed, to be “punished”. He was an innocent victim too.

Once again, two wrongs never add up to make a right. This is why I do not believe in the death penalty.

I was shocked by all of this racist violence, because, although racism is also a problem sometimes in my native Australia, there are no organised political parties that preach racist violence in Australia. There are in the USA – like the Klu Klux Klan, but nothing like this in Australia or New Zealand. There was, a few years back now, the One Nation Party in Australia, headed by a woman named Pauline Hanson – but she did not preach violence. In fact, she even had quite a few Asians as members of her Party. Her political platform was simple: she believed that Australia was losing its identity because of its immigration policies. She claimed that Australia was being swamped by Asians. Of course, her political party and career is now over! Most Australians value their multiculturalism – most of her supporters were older people, mainly rural Australians, people who are out of touch with the modern/postmodern world.

Most people in Britain and France and Germany are not racist thugs either, but organised racism is a problem there nevertheless. In Britain, apart from the BNP, there are at least two other racist groups that practice violence: the Chelsea Headhunters, and Combat 19. These two groups are often behind the football hooliganism that has, in the past, given Britain such a bad reputation throughout Europe.

So you see Jacky, racism is a problem everywhere in this world. I’ve seen racism manifest itself in greater extremes in Britain and Europe than I have here in China, where I now live and work. You shouldn’t think that we Westerners are more cultured and sophisticated than you Asians. We’re all the same, fundamentally!

Best regards,
Mark Anthony Jones

January 4, 2005 @ 7:31 pm | Comment

Mark Anthony,

Just to let you know that I did read your reply to my post. Yes, I did experience some emotional reactions (Nguyen Cao Ky et al dictators? What the hell was Ho Chi Minh?) U.S. “imposed dictatorship” (Gawd, that it had been that easy) Rural Australians out of what??? The whole bloody economy is built upon their backs, Mate. But, I will beat a tactical retreat for now because this really belongs in a different forum. p.s. I assume that you are counting my old comrades in FULRO and the Khmer Serai as “allies” of the Khmer Rouge. Unfair, that, even if technically correct.

January 4, 2005 @ 11:15 pm | Comment

Dear Lirelou,

I’m not sure what you mean when you ask, “Rural Australians out of what?” I mentioned rural Australians only once, in my comments above, and only in passing, to illustrate the fact that Pauline Hanson’s support back in 1996/7 was very much skewed. She won so many seats not because she had popular support, but because in her state of Queensland, which is very large and predominantly rural, the majority of electorates contain very small populations – mostly comprising of farmers, many of whom represent a different generation, and many of whom lack exposure to the multiculturalism of the larger urban centres, like Brisbane. Such ruralites are indeed, out of touch with Australia’s urban modernity – and this, I think, goes some way towards explaining her electoral successes.

I in no way wished to imply that rural Australians are in any way inherently inferior to urban Australians – but they are, because of their geographic isolation, out of touch with the realities of urban life, and it is in the urban centres where the vast majority of Australians reside.

The economy may very well be built upon their backs, to some extent, but this hardly detracts from the point that I was making. You shouldn’t try to read too much more into my comments here!

Secondly, Lirelou, I can understand your “emotional” response to my comments. I appreciate the fact that you are a retired military man, and that you served in Vietnam. At no stage have I ever suggested that ordinary soldiers in the US army (or any other army, both past and present) are all in any way bad, or evil, or guilty of some terrible crime.

But I’m afraid that, as far as I am concerned, America’s intervention in Vietnam was morally wrong, and what the US did in Vietnam is shameful. The same applies to what they are doing now in Iraq.

The real criminals, I know, are not the soldiers on the ground – they too, by and large, are innocent victims! The criminals are the ones who sit in Washington – the Henry Kissingers and Donald Rumsfelds of this world – they should, quite frankly, both be sitting behind bars by now. They are the people who orchestrate such crimes.

And no, I do not count you, or your comrades in the FULRO as “allies” of the Khmer Rouge – and that’s because you, and your comrades in the FULRO would not have even been aware of Washington’s policies towards the Khmer Rouge. Nixon, Kissinger, Carter, Thatcher, Reagan, Deng Xiaoping, et al, – yes – they were all allies of Pol Pot. But not the ordinary US soldier.

Finally, it doesn’t really matter whether one considers Ho Chi Minh to be a dictator, or a Soviet puppet (client) or a freedom fighter or whatever – the fact remains that the US had NO RIGHT to intervene in Vietnam’s internal affairs, nor did the US have the right to bomb neutral Cambodia, killing (murdering) a half a million peasant farmers, ad infinitum.

My scathing attack is not directed at you Lirelou, but at the United States government.

Best regards,
Mark Anthony Jones

January 4, 2005 @ 11:58 pm | Comment

Not sure what happened with this thread, but thanks to Jacky for an interesting and well-reasoned post.

January 5, 2005 @ 1:44 am | Comment

Dear Lirelou,

Sorry! One more thing – when I referred to the client “dictator” I was referring to Diem, but of course, Nguyen Cao Ky, while he may not necessarily have been a “dictator” (though in my opinion he was), was certainly a US client. Let me provide you with yet another brief history lesson: the US-backed South raised much of their funds from the opium trade, as you probably already know, and with the help of the CIA.

In May 1961, JFK authorised the implementation of an interdepartmental task force report which called for “the South Vietnamese Army to conduct Ranger raids and similar military actions in North Vietnam as might prove necessary or appropriate.” Talk about interference! Anyhow, the CIA was assigned to help the South Vietnamese carry out this mission and incorporated a fictitious parent company in Washington D.C., Aviation Investors, to provide a cover for its operational company, Vietnam Air Transport. The agency dubbed the project “Operation Haylift.” Vietnam Air Transport, or VIAT, hired Col. Nguyen Cao Ky and selected members of his First Transport Group to fly CIA commandos into North Vietnam via Laos or the Gulf of Tonkin. This is where the CIAs relationship with Ky begins.

Colonel Ky was dismissed from Operation Haylift less than two years after it began though, because, as one of VIAT’s technical employees, Mr. S. M. Mustard, later reported to a U.S. Senate subcommittee in 1968, “Col. Ky took advantage of this situation to fly opium from Laos to Saigon.” Since some of the commandos hired by the CIA were Dr. Tuyen’s intelligence agents, it was certainly credible that Ky was involved with the opium and gold traffic. Mustard implied that the CIA had fired Ky for his direct involvement in this traffic; Col. Do Khac Mai, then deputy commander of the air force, says that Ky was fired for another reason. Some time after one of its two-engine C-47s crashed off the North Vietnamese coast, VIAT brought in four-engine C-54 aircraft from Taiwan. Since Colonel Ky had only been trained in two-engine aircraft he had to make a number of training flights to upgrade his skills; on one of these occasions he took some Cholon dance hall girls for a spin over the city. This romantic hayride was in violation of Operation Haylift’s strict security though, and so the CIA speedily replaced Ky and his transport pilots with Nationalist Chinese ground crews and pilots.

Even though the opium traffic and other forms of corruption generated enormous amounts of money for Nhu’s police state, nothing could keep the Diem’s regime in power once the Americans had turned against it. For several years they had been frustrated with Diem’s failure to fight corruption, and in March 1961 a national intelligence estimate done for JFK complained of President Diem:

“Many feel that he is unable to rally the people in the fight against the Communists because of his reliance on one-man rule, his toleration of corruption even to his immediate entourage, and his refusal to relax a rigid system of controls.”

The outgoing ambassador, Elbridge Durbrow, had made many of the same complaints, and in a cable to the secretary of state, he urged that Dr. Tuyen and Nhu be sent out of the country and their secret police be disbanded. He also suggested that Diem make a public announcement of disbandment of the Can Lao party or at least its surfacing, with names the positions of all members made known publicly. The purpose of this step was to eliminate the atmosphere of fear and suspicion and reduce public belief in favouritism and corruption, all of which the party’s semi-covert status had given rise to.

In essence, Nhu had reverted to the Binh Xuyen’s formula for combating urban guerrilla warfare by using systematic corruption to finance intelligence and counterinsurgency operations. However, the Americans could not understand what Nhu was trying to do and kept urging him to initiate “reforms.” When Nhu flatly refused, the Americans tried to persuade President Diem to send his brother out of the country. And when Diem agreed, but then backed away from his promise, the U.S. Embassy decided to overthrow Diem. Yes! More interference! And yet another example of how, when a “puppet” fails to dance to every string, its master will punish it with ruthless avengence.

On November 1, 1963, with the full support of the U.S. Embassy, a group of Vietnamese generals launched a coup, and within a matter of hours captured the capital and executed Diem and Nhu. But the coup not only toppled the Diem regime, it destroyed Nhu’s police state apparatus and its supporting system of corruption, which, if it had failed to stop the National Liberation Front (NLF) in the countryside, at least guaranteed a high degree of “security” in Saigon and the surrounding area.

Within three months after the anti-Diem coup, General Nguyen Khanh emerged as Saigon’s new “strong man” and dominated South Vietnam’s political life from January 1964 until he, too, fell from grace, and went into exile twelve months later. Although a skillful coup plotter, General Khanh was incapable of using power once he got into office. Under his leadership, Saigon politics became an endless quadrille of coups, countercoups, and demicoups. As you no doubt already konw Lirelou, Khanh failed to build up any sort of intelligence structure to replace Nhu’s secret police, and during this critical period none of Saigon’s rival factions managed to centralise the opium traffic or other forms of corruption. The political chaos was so severe that serious pacification work ground to a halt in the countryside, and Saigon became an open city.

As far as Washington was concerned, it was thus time to resort back to the tried-and-true methods of Ngo Dinh Nhu and the Binh Xuyen bandits. When the French government faced Viet Minh terrorist assaults and bombings in 1947, they allied themselves with the bullnecked Bay Vien, giving this notorious river pirate a free hand to organise the city’s corruption on an unprecedented scale. Confronted with similar problems in 1965-1966 and realising the nature of their mistake with Diem and Nhu, Ambassador Lodge and the U.S. mission decided to give their full support to Premier Nguyen Cao Ky and his power broker, Gen. Nguyen Ngoc Loan. The fuzzy-cheeked Ky had a dubious reputation in some circles, and President Diem had referred to him as “that cowboy,” a term Vietnamese then reserved – for only the most flamboyant of Cholon gangsters. And that is exactly who Ky was – a gangster!

But then look Lirelou, the United States has a long history of allying itself with gangsters, and of supporting client gangsters. Just take Cuba’s Batista as but one of many many examples!

Best regards,
Mark Anthony Jones

January 5, 2005 @ 1:58 am | Comment

Mark,

Thanks. I agree that the need for protestations against Japanese revisionism has to be kept at a civil level, but this is of course easier said than done, for without passion and some degree of emotional commitment there cannot be a real protest. The protest will then be seen as lacking ‘energy’ and perhaps not even be heeded.

But where emotions and passions come into play, and minus some sound leadership and careful moderation, the protests can become nasty – that’s why I believe Chinese are yet far from a more sophisticated understanding of how to organize a peaceful yet forceful protest without descending into overt racism. It’s counterproductive to protest against Japanese ‘racism’ (as intrinsic in historical revisionism) when one is seen as being racist – it gives comfort and ammunition to those protested against.

Still between the devil and the deep blue sea.

January 6, 2005 @ 8:00 am | Comment

You’re a smart man Jacky!

O.K. Thanks for clarifying what you meant when you said that you think the Chinese are not as “sophisticated” as those of us in the West – you were referring specifically to “protest” culture – the culture of organising progressive mass political movements, and of organising street protest marches, etc.

The Chinese, slowly, are developing such sensibilities too though, especially in recent years, as is evident by a number of recent, well organised demonstrations against various acts of environmental vandalism – most notably, the building of dams. NGOs like Greenpeace and others, are no doubt helping in this area.

Actually, Chinese NGOs have mushroomed in number over the years: from only 100 in 1965 to now almost 2,000. And the number of national social associations has increased from 6,000 to over 200,000. What we see in China today is an emerging civil society, which I think is very encouraging.

Your comments are certainly fair enough – you are no doubt correct when you say that the Chinese are less sophisticated in being able to organise protests against Japanese racism without themselves descending into racism – Westerners certainly have a longer tradition of organising and participating in such protest movements, and the issue of racism is a hot one in Western schools – especially in the more multicultural urban centres – cities like Sydney or London for example, where people from diverse cultures and ethnicities have to learn how to live with one another, and have to learn how to get along well together.

I appreciate your input into this discussion Jacky. I have learnt something from you.

Best regards,
Mark Anthony Jones

January 6, 2005 @ 6:48 pm | Comment

jeebus, I walk away from this thread for a few days and you guys managed to crank out a 3 part epic… complete with a climatic battle involving gratuitious and unnecessary violence (you three know who you are, or at least the rest of us do). I actually came back two days ago, but I’ve been reading ever since. I thought I’d add something, but all I think of is “beaten to death” doesn’t really adequately describe this one. Good work, everybody.

In seriousness, great posts Mark. You said alot of things better than I did.

January 7, 2005 @ 9:55 am | Comment

January 14, 2005 @ 8:14 pm | Comment

January 14, 2005 @ 8:16 pm | Comment

January 14, 2005 @ 10:06 pm | Comment

January 14, 2005 @ 10:07 pm | Comment

January 14, 2005 @ 11:26 pm | Comment

January 14, 2005 @ 11:29 pm | Comment

January 14, 2005 @ 11:29 pm | Comment

January 15, 2005 @ 4:01 am | Comment

January 16, 2005 @ 7:13 pm | Comment

January 18, 2005 @ 7:51 pm | Comment

January 18, 2005 @ 7:53 pm | Comment

January 18, 2005 @ 7:54 pm | Comment

January 18, 2005 @ 7:56 pm | Comment

I don’t want to hearken any comment but only one thing to declare which is war against all white apt japanese. As we chineses once were perished by england with their wicked opium then bullied and humiliated while we’re unconscious by japanese. So this time, I encourage all chineses all over the world to be united to uproot all young or old japaneses just like Israels uprooted all Canaans. But we also need to acquire, invent, etc techniques to tackle all japanese annihilation program. We need to philosophize just like an ancient time to stimulate our brothers Chineses to sustain their stamina against japaneses to recover our dignity by sacrificing all the japanese heads before our suffered ancestors. So You Chineses, would you leave your scars called humiliation upon your descendants or would you be the ones to recover dignity for your descendants by annihilating all japaneses. So we all Chinese would stand together with you until we achieve our motive to regain our glory days. We need an sophisticated organization(similar to Mossad organization in Israel) which would analyse the need to be implemented including philosophy and sophisticated weapon systems to be applied on the japan empire. So we encourage the able one man to lead us all chineses to regain our dignity and the able leader name will be inscribed as our chineses’s savior for the dignity forever. So I hope that day won’t be faraway anymore according to the chineses situation right now. I hope all chineses not to be like an apt japanese by serving japaneses and buying japaneses’s products to prolong the existence of all japaneses. You, all my brothers and sisters, have the power to control the situation of japan by boycotting japaneses’s products and contributing ideas and finance to the japanese annihilation group which would be organized soon by one brilliant god whom I don’t know but I hope to be. We chinese are not humiliated easily for example Khun Sa (Chang Chi Fu), the golden triangle opium leader was an chinese. We are blessed as much as God’s people Israel. And once we were as the driving force of invention in an ancient time and we are going to be now too. We chineses have many achievements in all over the world right now. Very soon we no need to stay in foreign countries anymore but to go back our mother land to serve our country and to regain our dignity back. So at that time, war between China and japan won’t be avoidable anymore. But these countries assisting to the japan, be careful for we won’t forgive you but we won’t fight your country but Isolate you forever. I urge Chinses Government to allow The Japaneses Annihilation Organization be allowed to perform their duty and remember Government must know we want our dignity back so as the protector of us chineses during the invasion of japan, you Government couldn’t do anything to annihilate all japaneses until now to compensate for us. So this time, let’s cooperate with you, Government in this annihilation mission for the dignity of our descendants not to be despited anymore.
Let’s begin our mission, all Chineses

February 12, 2005 @ 9:18 am | Comment

Jang, I found your viewppint very interesting and dedicated a new post to it — I hopeyou can see it. Can you let us know your nationality?

February 13, 2005 @ 10:09 am | Comment

An island too far

On the first day of Chinese New Year Japan formally took control of a lighthouse on deserted Uotsuri Island, part of the Diaoyu chain. Problem is sovereignty over these islands is contested by both China and Taiwan. China has naturally less than impres…

February 13, 2005 @ 7:54 pm | Comment

bei jing duck is so nice

March 24, 2005 @ 9:44 pm | Comment

I think the Japanese apology is not enough … by the way who cares about their apology if it isn’t a truely one.. Chinese people should always remember the shame and pain we have been through because of the Japanese. And do our best to improve our economic and military standard, and someday we will revenge!

April 1, 2005 @ 8:40 pm | Comment

Careful – revenge is a very ugly and base emotion.

April 1, 2005 @ 8:42 pm | Comment

Richard,

I’ve read through some of the msgs posted on this board. I totally agree with you in what your saying about revenge being ugly in any form. And many Ex-Japanese Asians feel the same way – and we try hard not to harbour any hatred. But for you to comment on this issue as a 3rd person about something that is very personal to most Asians still, I feel is out of boundary. It is easy for you to talk about peace, but it is something that takes much effort from us to swallow and practice, knowing the history as we do, knowing what happened to our very grandparents and how it affects us still.

I always force myself to think about forgiveness and moving on when conflicting situations occur. But there was one occasion when I found myself getting very disapponted at a fellow Korean, when she showed her admiration for Japan. She married a foreigner (an American) and overall they had high esteem for Japan. I did not feel any emotion toward her husband for feeling that way (he had no reason to feel otherwise) but when i heard her say, we are wrong to dislike Japan and praise Japan for all its great achievements, it frankly made me want to throw up and also made me look at her in a different way, because her praises, contrary to what you may think, made me realize how narrowminded and disrespectful she is. It showed her lack of respect for her ancestors, and when I say ancestors, it’s as close as my father’s generation. What Japan did during its invasions and colonization was a crime against humanity. I would not hate a Japanese person per se, and must admit I have some close Japanese friends that I adore, but Japan as a whole (although I wouldn’t say it openly), I detaste. How can you isolate what it did in the past from what it is today. Culture is a collective thing and it inevitably gets influence by past history. It is a country that worships its leaders that used noble human lives for astrocit experiments – cut up people’s intestines while they are still alive to see the affect of their chemical experiments without anestesia, letting them just die in that tragic state, forcing innocent woman into sexual slavery – making them face 50 man a day in cruel sex. and I’m not just talking about tatoos on their bodies, they were not able to come back to their families or even their home country and they live till this date with horrifying memories. Millions of Koreans who died in harsh labor, forced to go to Japan, were not able to come back and they till date live in Japan under discrimination as second tier people. These are to you just someone from a different country, many who has already died, no relavance to me, right? But to me they are my brothers, sisters, parents and grandparents.

But Japan is saying today, stop winning about something that happend in the past, and you know what? it didn’t even happen. They apologized? ONLY IN EMPTY WORDS, which is worse than mockery. The very same day they apologize, they go to warship the very people who commited astorcities to our grandfathers.

It is not HISTORY, not something that happened 65 years ago, but something that is still happening today.

We CAN forgive, Richard, but we shouldn’t FORGET. We shoud NOT forget but remember what has happened, out of respect for our ancestors and to console their sorrows. If we don’t, it only makes the millions of tragic deaths more meaningless.

As I said before we should not try to harbor hatred but it is also important not to forget, especially when so many has been wronged and so little has been set right till this date.

Joanne

May 10, 2005 @ 3:22 pm | Comment

why i am sensitive?

why i am sensitive?

June 13, 2005 @ 3:23 am | Comment

What about the tortures that was carried out by the Chinese against the Chinese? Any chance of an apology?

July 23, 2005 @ 10:27 pm | Comment

Dear reader,

Could any one of you send me the fact on the text book and shrine issue and background. i am unableto gasp much from opinion with out background. it can be the article or website. my email is
govinda@kais.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Govinda Rizal

August 31, 2005 @ 5:00 am | Comment

interesting blog, lots of different perspectives and opinions always enjoy your site! the anger that many chinese and others feel towards the japanese are legitimate because the japanese government has not given fair compensation to the many victims of imperial japan, that includes the many POWS from canada and australia in particular, who were enslaved and brutalized in the worst ways imaginable! often the japanese government has even promoted outright lies or simply ignored the facts in there school teskbooks.

November 23, 2005 @ 6:55 pm | Comment